Murchison Falls Safari, Africa Big 5 Tour
Duration: 3 Days
Starting from: USD$800
- Rates are per person and based on 2 people sharing 1 room
- Excluding international flights (from/to your home country)
A visit to the magnificent top of Murchison Falls, a boat cruise on the river Nile, a game drive to view the park’s diverse wildlife and track the rhinos at the Zziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch.
OR CALL OUR SPECIALISTS
Best time to go
June to August and December to February (Drier trails make for easy mountain gorilla tracking)
June to September (Gorilla permits need to be booked long in advance at any time of the year)
Murchison Falls, also known as Kabalega Falls, is a waterfall between Lake Kyoga and Lake Albert on the White Nile River in Uganda. At the top of Murchison Falls, the Nile forces its way through a gap in the rocks, only 7 metres (23 ft) wide, and tumbles 43 metres (141 ft), before flowing westward into Lake Albert. The outlet of Lake Victoria sends around 300 cubic meters per second (11,000 ft³/s) of water over the falls, squeezed into a gorge less than ten metres (30 ft) wide.
Presently the spotlight of a visit to Murchison is the launch trip up the stream to observe the Falls and riverbank wildlife. You are definately assured of spotting the Africa Big 5 ( African lion, African elephant, Cape buffalo, African leopard, and rhinoceros) on a Murchison Falls Safari.
The park is subjugated by woodland, wetland, savannah as well as tropical forest that is well known to be a habitant for over 76 mammal species and over 450 different bird species. Among the big mammals include hippo, Rothschild’s giraffe,warthlog,cape buffalo, Uganda kob,hartebeest and elephants.The Nile corridor of the Murchison has a big collection of water birds such as rare shoebill stork and also has a large concentration of Nile crocodile.Kaniyo Pabidi forest is a home to primates, chimpanzees and over 360 species of different birds.
Things to consider:
- Mid-range tour – Accommodated tour
- Group Tour – The tour is run for more than 2 people at a go
- Can depart any day? – This tour can depart any day
- Can be customised? – This tour can be customized
Minimun require age – Suitable for ages16 and older
Tour Summary (See full day-by-day for more details)
- You’ll go to Uganda
- This tour starts and ends in Kampala (Uganda) – Getting there & away
- You’ll visit Kamapala (city), Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary and Murchison Falls National Park
- Activities: Wildlief Boat Ride, Game Drive, Site Seeing
- Getting around: 4×4 Safari Landcruiser / Minivan
- A transfer from and back to the airport (or hotel) is included
Kampala – Murchison Falls National Park
You will be picked from a location in Kampala at 7:30am and drive to Murchison Falls National Park, which lies at the northern end of the Albertine Rift Valley accessible via Luwero Nakasongola and Masindi. This park is Uganda’s oldest National Park and is a great host to over 76 mammal species and 451 birds. We will have a lunch stop in Masindi before entering the park to make our way to the top of Murchison Falls where the world’s longest river explodes violently through a narrow cleft in the Rift Valley escarpment to plunge into a frothing pool 43m below and thereafter check in for dinner and overnight.
Accommodation options: Red Chilli – budget, Murchison River Lodge – mid ranger, Paraa Safari Lodge- up-market. Meal plan: L-D
Wildlife Viewing in Murchison Falls National Park
Early riser today, 6:30am we head out on a game drive in the park to find wildlife populations which have largely recovered from the poaching of the 1980s. In the lush borassus grassland to the north of the Nile, elephant, buffalo, giraffe and a variety of antelope are regularly encountered on game drives, while lion are seen with increasing frequency. We return to accommodation to relax and have lunch.
After lunch, we will take a boat cruise on the Nile River. The Nile itself hosts one of Africa’s densest hippo and crocodile populations, and a dazzling variety of water birds including the world’s most accessible wild population of the rare shoebill stork.
Dinner and overnight
Accommodation options: Red Chilli – budget, Murchison River Lodge – mid ranger, Paraa Safari Lodge- up-market. Meal plan: B-L-D
Murchison Falls National Park – Kampala
After breakfast, we depart from Murchison Falls National Park heading to Kampala via the Zziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch, to track the Rhinos accompanied by a trained wildlife ranger/guide. This rhino sanctuary is a project of Rhino Fund and the Uganda Wildlife Authority which is working to restore the rhino population into Uganda’s wild after it go extinct during the years of turmoil in the 1980s. We‘ll have lunch at the Ranches’ restaurant before continuing to be dropped at an agreed location or Hotel in Kampala or drop off at Entebbe International Airport.
Meal plan: B-L-D
End of safari.
By Road (4×4 Custom Safari vehicle), it will take you around 5hours from Kampala with about 305 km. Paara covers a distance of about 85km from Masindi town by the shortest route.
Red Chilli – budget
Murchison River Lodge – mid ranger,
Paraa Safari Lodge – up-market.
Meal plan: B-L-D
Included in the price
- Ground transport
- An English speaking driver/guide
- A boat launch on the Nile
- A visit to the top of the falls
- A game drive
- Rhino tracking
- Accommodation for 2nights
- Meals as indicated against each day.
- Park entry fees
- 2litres of bottled water daily while in the vehicle
- Entry visas and flights
- Items of personal nature/tips/laundry
- Personal insurance
- Sodas/alcohol/ teas and extra water
- Extra meals and activities
Other Safari Options
- 3 Days Uganda Gorilla Tracking Safari
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Safaris
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth National Park Safari
- 5 Day Kidepo Valley Safari
- 4 Days Mgahinga Gorilla National Park Safari
- 6 Days Uganda Primates Safari
- 7 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari
- 10 Days Uganda Community & Culture Safari
- 12 Days Class Uganda Safari, Magical Kenya, Zanzibar Holiday
- 14 Days Classic Africa Safari
- 21 Days Wildlife & Community Safari Experience